Ignition Interlock License (IIL)

If you are convicted of an alcohol- or drug-related crime resulting in the suspension or revocation of your driver's license, an Ignition Interlock License (IIL) is likely to be your only option. If specific criteria are met, the license will be issued without any questions.

IIL Requirements

You've been arrested or convicted of any of the following:

  • DUI or Physical Control Involving Drugs or Alcohol;
  • Vehicular Assault Involving Drugs or Alcohol;
  • Vehicular Homicide Involving Drugs or Alcohol;
  • You've had a valid Washington driver's license or are on active military duty in Washington.
  • You have a Washington State residence address.

Your current suspension or revocation doesn't include any of the following:

  • Minor in Possession
  • Reckless Driving
  • Habitual Traffic Offender (Suspended 1st degree).

If You Qualify, You MUST:

  • Pay a $100.00 application fee;
  • Provide proof at the time of application that you have purchased SR22 insurance (high-risk insurance); and
  • Provide proof that you have installed an Ignition Interlock Device. If you are not otherwise ineligible the license will be mailed, emailed, or faxed to you.

With an IIL, you are allowed to travel wherever, whenever you wish in the state, unlike the Occupational Restricted License, which restricts your movements. There is a question, however, of whether other states actually recognize your IIL.

Work Vehicles

Any vehicle you drive during work hours must also be equipped with an ignition interlock device if your employer:

  • Owns, leases, or rents it;
  • Is temporarily responsible for its care or maintenance.

HOWEVER, This requirement may be waived if you:

  • Have your employer sign an Employer Declaration for Ignition Interlock License;
  • Send the DoL a copy of the signed declaration before you drive vehicles for work;
  • Post September 28, 2013, upon a DUI conviction, there is a 30 day waiting period, or more specifically, for the first 30 days of your suspension, you may not apply, nor be issued an IIL waiver.

Make sure you carry a copy of the declaration with you whenever you drive a work vehicle that isn't equipped with an interlock device.

Commercial Vehicles

You are prohibited from driving a commercial motor vehicle while you have an IIL.

IIL & Convictions

An IIL may be needed if you are under a suspension from the DoL for an arrest without court action. However, if you are under suspension/revocation due to a conviction in court of a DUI:

The court now may waive the requirement to get an Ignition Interlock License but you will be ordered to undergo alcohol monitoring for the same period of time the interlock device would have been required.

You must maintain an ignition interlock device for a minimum of:

  • 1 year for the 1st offense conviction; IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN ORDERED TO HAVE AN IID THEN;
  • 5 years for a 2nd offense; and
  • 10 years for 3rd and subsequent offenses.

If the IID/IIL is installed on your vehicle prior to the actual conviction (due to DoL administrative suspension), you'll get credit toward your ignition interlock requirement for every day you have one installed while driving with your IIL.

Effective September 28, 2013, upon being arraigned (your first appearance before a Judge to enter a Not Guilty Plea to the charge), if you have a prior DUI, Felony DUI, Vehicular Assault, or Homicide, an IID as a condition of your release is MANDATORY.

You may apply for an IIL at any time, including after being arrested or after your revocation hearing. But if you apply for an IIL after an arrest, BUT BEFORE a HEARING IS REQUESTED or HELD, you waive the right to a hearing on your license suspension or revocation.